Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Mass Is PHAT

When I was about 17 or 18 years old I saw something that forever changed my life.

It was during Franciscan University's Steubenville South Catholic Youth conference in Alexandria, Louisiana that this event took place.

No, this is not the story of how I came to fully give my life to Christ and gain an undying hunger for the Eucharist... no no... this is the story of a banner.

The banner I speak of simply read, "Mass is PHAT"

I read the banner with friends and initially we all thought it was the corniest thing we had ever seen.

Sure, we all loved Mass and we all were addicted to the celebration of the Eucharist and always had fun when we went to Mass, but to see a term such as "PHAT" being used to describe it was beyond us.

For those of you who do not know, "PHAT" in the secular world means "Pretty Hot And Tempting." Used most often to describe a member of the opposite sex or anything one finds to be... well... Pretty Hot And Tempting... yeah...

Anyways, I asked myself, "Is Mass 'Pretty Hot And Tempting?'"

Though it is tempting in some ways due to the fact I'm always tempted to go, the "Hot" part was troubling me.

But then it happend... I came up with the most incredible slogan known to the youth at St. Laurence Catholic parish at that time... I said:

Mass is "Precious Holy And True!" : Mass is PHAT!

Heck yes Mass is PHAT and from that day on, Mass always has been and always will be PHAT, Precious Holy And True. Needless to say, this revelation of mine is another reason why I encourage EVERYONE to GO TO MASS!

On top of that, when I got home from Steubenville, I quickly did a search online for others who thought Mass was PHAT and I came upon one of the most awesome Catholic websites ever.

I share this find with you now. Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you...

PHATMASS.COM!

This site is full of everything that is Catholic for todays "new aged" teens and young adults or anyone interested in the more "liberal" aspects of Catholic life.

Featuring everything from the Massmatics hip-hop cd to other Catholic artist and wallpapers that will turn your computer into an apologetic machine, this website has everything. And yes, it does have some hardcore apologetic material on it as well... Oh how I love apologetics... really shakes your faith sometimes...

No comments: